This weekend I updated my tea inventory list and discovered I have over 150 different teas in my tea stash, and I am always adding more in the form of teas from my subscriptions and random teas I find when I am out and about. While tea doesn’t go bad if you store it properly, it does lose its flavor over time, so I want to make sure I am rotating the teas I use. I do this by pulling teas for a tea basket the last weekend of every month.
A tea basket is all the teas I want to concentrate on drinking over the course of the month. I try to include a lot of different brands, flavors and types of tea. I also try to pull older teas from my stash and teas that only have one or two cups left in them. I also try to put one or two teas in the basket that are just teas I love. I originally saw the basket idea on Free Spirited Sara’s you tube channel and thought it was a great way to make sure I was rotating my teas.
This month’s tea basket includes:
- Raspberry Ganche black tea by Tea Forte. I bought this tea for my 52nd birthday in December. I love its chocolatey flavor. I am including it my tea basket because, even though I love it, it tends to get over-looked in when I am constantly trying new teas.
- Havakai Frost Tea by Harney and Sons. I got this tea in my monthly subscription a few months ago. It is one of the most unusual teas I have ever drank and it is one of my all-time favorites. I want to spend some time experimenting with different brewing methods and just enjoy this tea more frequently.
- Porch Sippin Pecan, Strawberry Rhubarb Oolong and Placid Orange Black by Plum Deluxe. I got these teas for making iced tea this summer. Now that the iced tea season is winding down, I just want to make sure I use them up, so they don’t sit in my stash all winter.
- I have several teas from several companies in my basket that I want to brew in my Gaiwan so I am going to set aside some time to do that. Brewing tea in a Gaiwan is supposed to bring out different aromas and flavors in the tea. I want to experiment that.
- This month I cancelled one of my subscriptions, so I put all my teas from this month and a few leftovers from previous boxes. I want to make sure to use these teas, so they don’t get lost in the shuffle.
- I also pulled a lot of tea bags from my stash. I have no issue with drinking tea from tea bags, but I prefer loose leaf tea so tend to go for that first. I want to make sure I am using my teabags as well.
These are just some of the teas I will be drinking this month. How many do you think I can get through by the last weekend in August? I’ll let you know.